Friday, January 12, 2007

II Timothy 2:22b

II Timothy 2:22b “Pursue faith and love and peace, and enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.”

Philippians 4: 9 “Keep putting into practice all you learned from me and heard from me and saw me doing, and the God of peace will be with you.”

A man I used to work with told the story of his five-year-old son’s experience in a soccer league. When the other boys were running down the field, with the ball going all over the place, the man’s son just stood in the middle of the field, looking around. He waved at his parents and inspected the grass and gazed up at the sky and generally had a good time, but he had no interest in playing the game.

Sometimes it feels as though this is how I approach the Christian life. Life is pretty good. I have friends I love and a church home. At church, I hug the people I know, and I enjoy when we get to sing some of my favorite praise songs, and I speak up in our adult Sunday School class. But I wonder if perhaps I’m missing the point of the “game.”

“Keep putting into practice…” “Pursue…” These are active words, determined, but the way I live my life seems to be passive, being tossed by the waves. They’re good waves, for the most part, but waves nonetheless. I’ve lost some of that determined pursuit of God that I once had, and I need to get it back.

It’s not too late for New Year’s resolutions, or as a Christian friend said, “New Week’s resolutions.” She gives herself one week at a time to work out her faith, and I think I can handle that too. One week to pursue God. And then another…

How is your pursuit coming along? What else do you need to put into practice--or keep putting into practice? Take action this week, and may the God of peace be with you.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home