Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Matthew 2:3

Matthew 2:3 “When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him.”

I know Christmas is over, but this verse from the Christmas story has stayed with me. It reminds me of that old Down Home saying, “If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” Herod’s troubled nature affected everyone around him.

And I’ve been “troubled” lately too, working long hours at a job I don’t enjoy, and then not having enough time to do all the errands that are part of normal life.

I’m normally a cheerful person, but reading this verse over Christmas has made me wonder how much I’m letting my woes spread to the people around me. Do I complain too much at work? Does the way I talk about my job with co-workers encourage them to develop a bad attitude toward what we do? And at home, do I take enough time to be a blessing to my daughter and her friend who lives with us?

Where is my focus? When Herod heard the news about the newborn King, he let his fears get the better of him, while the Answer to his fears rested in a town not too far away. Am I, like Herod, focusing on my fears and the worries of life, when my Answer is waiting close by for me to come to Him?

How about you? What effect do your words and your troubles have on the people nearest to you? Are you letting you cares cloud your relationships, or are you casting your cares on the One who came to save?

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home