Tuesday, July 12, 2005

“I’m Right!”

“If you profit from constructive criticism you will be elected to the wise men's hall of fame. But to reject criticism is to harm yourself and your own best interests. Humility and reverence for the Lord will make you both wise and honored…. Pride leads to arguments; be humble, take advice and become wise. Pride goes before destruction and haughtiness before a fall. Better poor and humble than proud and rich.

God blesses those who obey him; happy the man who puts his trust in the Lord.”

Proverbs 15:31-33;13:10; 16:18-20 (respectively)(Living Bible)

As a child, I had to take correction form my parents. I hate to confess it, but I remember a time or two I actually chose to do things I was told not to do (thus, the power of “Reverse Psychology”). I remember sometimes feeling upset…sometimes frustrated…sometimes angry that I was corrected. I was doing something a certain way for my own reasons. I’m not stupid! In school, I received papers back from my instructors with corrections made and my work was given a value that reflected my errors. Sometimes the corrective remarks were even written in bright red ink, (was that just to rub salt in the wound!?). Correction didn’t always feel good.

I’ve grown through the years. I’ve learned a lot, both through formal schooling, formal training and through the “school of hard knocks.” When I take a position on something these days, I feel it’s well positioned, well thought-out, and…well…to be honest, I believe it’s right! Hummmm…kind da’ brings back memories of my childhood.

Are you getting the point? I mean, at times my spouse disagrees with me! Sometimes my children have different opinions! My supervisor even challenges me! The frustrating thing is, they also believe they are right! How do resolve this dilemma? The answer: Jesus Christ and the Holy Scriptures.

The right way is God’s way…not your way…not my way. We are only right when we are endorsing God’s way. How do we know what God’s way is in a given situation? By a trinitarian approach to life: (1)by a sincere relationship with the Holy Spirit, (2)by an open search in the Scriptures, and, (3)by the life of Christ on the subject-at-hand. God is not divided. The “right” answer will always be the one that is in harmony with all Three filters: the Holy Spirit, the Scriptures & Christ.

Right?

Blessing Always In All Ways,

Steve
<><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home