Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Levels of Victory

Recently my 6 year old son Ryan has become very excited about computer games. He relishes learning to maneuver the characters to jump obstacles and obtain prizes along the way to various levels of victory. There are times when I hear him playing and he’s talking to the computer, captivated by the excitement of the task before him. He grunts at failure and rejoices at success. He periodically complains if he can not get past a certain level, but he goes back and tries again. Sometimes he gets frustrated and just wants to quit, but calls for help: “Mom, I can’t make this jump, can you help me?” “Sure you can,” I say, “let me show you and then you practice.” Ultimately, after much practice, he makes the jump on his own. His skills are now showing the fruits of his practice and amazing me with things I would not otherwise have known.

This made me think about my own salvation, just a few short years ago. Newfound excitement would be an understatement! Oh how I relish learning. I am most certainly captivated by what’s in front of me, and yes, I grunt at failure and rejoice at success. Guess what else? I also talk to the opportunity and to the blessing. When I am stuck or frustrated, I ask for Help. I ask Him for direction and also consult some “wise counsel” friends of mine. Afterwards, I get to practice on my own. And you know what, some of my friends (even some of my ‘wise counsel’ friends) have commented that, through me, something was revealed to them that they did not know.

As I pondered this correlation, I thought about what’s next? Ryan will probably master these skills, grow up and lose interest in these games. Eventually something else would captivate him. Something that he was SO excited about would not be exciting anymore. I wondered if that would happen to me. Would I eventually be less passionate for the Lord? I’ve actually heard Christians say things to me like, “Oh I remember the excitement of when I was first saved. This is the best time for you!” For a while I didn’t want to think about those statements, but decided that was akin to “sticking my head in the sand.” Obviously there are Christians who aren’t as excited as they once were about Jesus anymore. What happened? And how do I avoid it happening to me?

With each computer game, Ryan practiced to success. He maneuvered through various levels of victory within one game and then moved on to another. Eventually he may leave computer games behind and find interest elsewhere. Wherever he moves he will have to treat his desire to succeed with an effort. His level of success will be dependant on his innate ability and his work ethic. And as he is successful, his work will become desire.

Similarly, I believe the depth of our walk with the Lord may also be a matter of faith and works. Both are needed for victory. If our heart continues to be excited about Jesus – if we are faithful to Him, then I think we need to continue to work ourselves into His presence. Faith and works then feed off of each other. As we feed our faith with His presence, we achieve victory - we discover our gifts - and our work becomes our desire. We are then able to move to the next level – where it starts all over again! Importantly, just as we need to have a business “work ethic” to attain business success, I think we need to have a spiritual “work ethic” to maintain spiritual success.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Colossians 1:23 But you must continue to believe this truth and stand in it firmly. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News…


Ecclesiastes 4:12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Glorious Father, I pray that each of us would do whatever it takes to stand firmly in Your presence, that the Good News would continue to be the Joy of our heart, and that we would stay in your Word to nourish our spirit and enhance our desire. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home