Wednesday, December 06, 2006

You’re In the Army Now

Ezekiel 37:9-11
Also He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live.”’ So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army.
-------------------------

It was October 18, 2005. I was sitting in a Tuesday night Bible study, not really interested in what the teacher was saying and wondering why I was there, when I heard the Lord’s voice saying, “RAISE UP MY ARMY.” It didn’t make any sense at the time, but I knew it was Him speaking, so I wrote it down and dated it. As I returned to that phrase over the following months, the Lord led me to Ezekiel 37:9-11, the vision of God breathing life into His people Israel, transforming them from lifeless bones into a powerful, united army. But what could that possibly have to do with me, I wondered.

Several months later, I was talking with Pastor Helen, head of the women’s ministry at my church. Pastor Helen had just found out that the company she had worked at for 28 years was going out of business. Although she would receive a year’s severance pay, she had no idea how to start a new career at the age of 62. “Pastor Helen,” I told her, “this is a great opportunity! This is your chance to find GOD’S vision for your life!”

She looked at me for a moment and then asked, “How would you like to speak to our women’s ministry? I have an opening in a couple of months.” I said yes, but I really didn’t know what I would speak about.

A couple of weeks before I was scheduled to speak, I decided to spend my lunch hour at a local Christian bookstore. Naturally, I went right to the “sale” table. That’s when I found “Entrepreneurial Faith”--the book that would change my life and hopefully the lives of the women at my church. Maybe it will change yours, too.

Do you remember the story of Gulliver’s Travels? Gulliver washes up on the shore of Lilliput. While asleep, he is tied to the ground by the 6-inch-tall inhabitants. When he awakens, he easily breaks free of their tiny ropes.

As I prepared my message for the women’s ministry, the Lord showed me a picture of the church as a “sleeping giant.” The average Christian is just like Gulliver. We’ve been lulled into a sleep-like trance. We’re tied down by the cares and pursuits of this world. We’re convinced that, once we’re saved, all we have to worry about is “damage control”—avoiding too many sins and too many trials, always striving for a low-stress, “successful” life. If that’s how you see your life, then it’s time to break free of the ropes and wake up to a far more exciting and more fulfilling reality. You’re in God’s Army now. Just like Ezekiel’s vision, God wants to raise YOU up from “dry bones” to a living, breathing, powerful, elite member of “an exceedingly great army.”

Cathleen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home