Monday, March 28, 2005

Flashbacks of a Savior -- Childhood Memories

Greetings brothers and sisters in Christ. I pray that God is showing Himself to you in a mighty way. I enjoyed a wonderful Easter this past weekend. I hope you did as well. I'm sure all of your churches have special traditional services to remind your congregation of what Christ did. I'm glad we have these traditions because it's important to remember that Christ's suffering was necessary to pay the price for our sin. Last year's release of Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" has made a lasting impression on me. The imagery was so real, and the suffering was so accurately portrayed, I don't know if I can ever forget it. The death scene was my inspiration for this week's writings. I've seen death scene's in many other movies, and, in my mind, the ones that are well done flashback during the moments before the person's death to portray their innocence and goodness. Today's flashback is to Jesus as a child:

John 2:5-9 (NASB) His mother said to the servants, "Whatever He says to you, do it." Now there were six stone waterpots set there for the Jewish custom of purification, containing twenty or thirty gallons each. Jesus said to them, "Fill the waterpots with water." So they filled them up to the brim. And He said to them, "Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter." So they took it to him. When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom,

Luke 2: 46-49 (NASB)Then, after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers. When they saw Him, they were astonished; and His mother said to Him, "Son, why have You treated us this way? Behold, Your father and I have been anxiously looking for You." And He said to them, "Why is it that you were looking for Me? Did you not know that I had to be in My Father's house?"

Although the Bible is somewhat silent about Jesus' childhood, I'd be very surprised if there weren't many happy childhood moments. In the John passage, however, we begin to get a glimpse of Jesus' character as the obedient son; performing his first public miracle at the request of his mother. In the Luke passages we also see Jesus as the obedient son; this time doing the will of his Father. As a father with 3 children (all teenage and above), I am always appreciative of my children's obedience. These flashbacks are not an accident. They're there to remind us of something. Are you an obedient child? Are you doing the will of your heavenly Father?

Blessings to you all.

Bill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home