Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Oh the Joy of Childhood! (2)

Recently on the way home from church my son, Ryan, told me all about the wall at Jericho and the people God was leading to the Promised land. He told me how they walked around it 7 times, blew their horns and then yelled, Praising the Lord, and the walls came down! (Needless to say, this was the unit of study for 5 year olds that Sunday.) This was fascinating to Ryan as he talked about it and thought about it all day long. During the afternoon he played with foam blocks that we have for the kids; building the wall of Jericho, walking around it, blowing his horn, shouting and knocking down the wall. He must have done this a dozen or more times, while singing "I am in the Lord's Army". I smiled to myself at his joy, conquering Jericho over and over again. Never a doubt that he would succeed.

I believe the Lord was showing me that I too had a Promised Land AND a Jericho to conquer, and that for the walls to come down I must be obedient and persistent, as well. Who knows how many times I might have to walk around that wall. Will I keep walking? Am I willing to "walk around my wall" shouting and praising the Lord, even when the odds seem insurmountable? Even when friends and relatives don't understand what you are doing (to put it kindly)? Was I really in the Lord's Army? Do I believe (and not doubt) that He will succeed and bring me to my Promised Land?

What is your Jericho? How will you face it?

Lord, give us all the pure and simple faith of a child. In Jesus name. Amen

Joshua 1:8-9 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Barb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home